Lesson One Courtesy: Key to a happier world
1. (1)sightseeing (2)making-shoes (3)labor-saving (4)heartbreaking(5)housekeeping
2. overcome the difficulty wreck a friendship
unscrew the cap of a bottle tighten the cap of a bottle
return a call feign a great effort
take much trouble dim the lights
acquire the habit have some ulterior motive
attach a string the golden rule
have engine trouble display impatience
blow a horn pave a road
use the “useful expressions”
1. Professor Du doesn’t impose his idea on his students ,instead he encourages them to think independently.
2. what makes his parents worry is not his grades but that he hasn’t any interest in learning.
3. Mr.Grison has never thought that his secretary would sale his sales plan to his opponent.
4. this matter comes down to the road that we take during the course or modernization.
5. In order to exercise her fingers, that old woman takes trouble to wash the small colthes.
6. Because the fire is getting out of control, they have to ask for the fire brigade.
7. The company’s sales department is watching the market to find the opportunity of displaying the new products.
8. Parents often try to goad their children into studying hard by using the teenager heroes in the past.
9. When we fix the apartment, we must be considerate of our neighbors.
10. He feels that what he gets from work doesn’t equal what he puts in.
11. In order not to make her feel embarrassed, we all say that nothing is wrong.
12. What you lack is not so much the knowledge from work as practice.
Use way, follow and watch.
1. If you like, please follow me and I will take you to the nearest post office.
2. This weekend I won’t stay at home to watch TV. I decide to see a film for a change.
3. this old grandma sits here everyday watching the children play in the street.
4. The discussion in group followed the report.
5. His unique way of dealing with this court case left deep impression on me.
6. We tried several ways to solve this problem, but none of then proved effective.
7. Day and night he watches his father who has just had the operation.
8. Now I can follow what the “VOA” and “BBC” say without much difficulty.
9. Watch in case that the child touches that electric wire.
10. Drivers must follow the traffic rules.
3 complete the following sentences.
1.Put suitable prepositions or adverbs in the blanks
1 of ,on 2 with 3to 4 in 5 for 6for,in 7for 8with 9up,with,at 10 of ,on
11with, in 12 in 13 with 14 on 15 on
2 choose the right word for each blank.
1 opinion ,conviction 2 displayed , exhibiting 3 happy glad 4 urged impelled 5famous noted
4 Choose the best word for each blank
1 facial 2 amusing 3 cultures 4 gesture 5 there fore 6 offend 7 particular 8 illustrates
9 cause 10 relaxed 11 to 12 religion 13 insult 14 carried 15 demanded
1. Complete the following sentences with appropriate link verbs.
1 turns 2 looks 3 get 4 keep 5 are turned 6 looks, turned 7 lay 8 go 9 grows 10 get 11been
12 became 13 run 14 run 15 running